Our History

Rugby Polo Club opened in 1893 by the three Miller brothers, George, Ted and Charles. The club became one of the most prestigious clubs in the country let alone being the oldest. Spring Hill Farm where the grounds are situated in Rugby became the home of polo for HRH the Prince of Wales, HRH The King of Spain, the Duke of York, the Aga Khan, Kashmir and Sir Winston Churchill.  In 1900 the club had over 200 playing members and was holding tournaments still played for outside the club today.

The Warwickshire Cup, originally given to Rugby Polo Club by the people of Leamington spa, is one of the most sought after high goal trophies today.  Since 1961 it has been held at Cirencester Park Polo Club after the Hurlingham Polo Association (The HPA), who had been looking after the trophy since the war, allowed Cirencester the use of the Warwickshire Cup in one of there tournaments. It is currently still on loan to Cirencester.  

In 1939, at the start of the Second World War, the club closed. Rugby Polo Club tried to re-open in 1947 but to no avail. Nearly sixty years on the Baker brothers David and Philip, re-opened the club on the original purpose built pitches bringing the sport back to Rugby. 

Contact Us